I turned 20 a couple of weeks ago and truth be told I feel like the same… but like I mentioned in the newsletter I sent out, I was very retrospective and did a lot of thinking and I wanted to share some of those thoughts with you… So here’s a list of some of the things I’ve learnt (about myself and life) in my 20 years of being alive…
* I’m a foodie ; so this is very important it might seem like people just say this but I actually love food… it’s just the best gift God gave mankind.
* Be comfortable in your own skin; it took a while for me to get there but I grew to love my self and all that I am weird toes and all… these days I’m so comfortable in my own skin I can’t see myself being anyone else or doing anything to change that
* I’m a stickler for the rules ; okay let me explain. There’s nothing wrong with being a go with the flow kind of person and it’s sort of a contradiction that I love rules especially as I consider my self a free spirit.. but I like having a schedule and having to keep to it… I’d rather learn stuff in a school like environment which is why I loved school( I was the girl who read the student handbook). I went to The Fashion Academy Abuja to learn clothing construction because there was a module for learning and we had homework and I learnt better that way… it hit the most when I got the Cassie Daves Blog Planner.. just having that black and white planner stare me in the face reminded me that I have stuff to do and so I’ve kept to an amazing schedule and I’m loving it.
* Life is about choices; I’ve learnt that I can’t just let stuff or life happen to me I have to make choices that make my life be the way I want it to be
* I hate taking pictures; I always wanted to be a model and lord I was sad when I didn’t grow any taller but now I realize I would have been horrible; I hate taking pictures. It’s difficult getting a good pose out of me and it’s like torture trying to figure out what to do with my legs or my eyes or my hands…
* I can be emotionally closed off; this I need to work on and I’m trying
* You can’t always get what you want; I learnt this when I was 5 maybe. My mom told me this in a bus from Ogba to Iyana Ipaja.. she said to me: “you have to learn that in life you can’t always get what you want and that I can’t always give you what you want, when I can I will give it to you but when I cannot I want you to understand that I can’t” this was one of the many things she said that guide me..
* there’s nothing wrong with being different; Another lesson I learnt at a really young age and that my mother taught me.. She told me: ” being different is a good thing it means no one is like you and that you stand apart from everyone is a special thing”.
* Make yourself happy; as an only child of a single mother, there are no siblings to play with, so I learnt to play by myself and make myself happy and that made be extremely independent and also helped me see that my happiness does not lie in the hands of others
* I have no nicknames; we were getting a little too serious for a minute there.. I just realized that I have no nicknames just pet names given to me by members of my family like my grandma and my mom and my cousins… nicknames just never stuck I guess..
So that’s it… I hope you’ve gotten to know me a little better and I can’t wait to learn more about myself and life …
Laters.. don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter a new one will be sent on Monday..